Are my plants harmful if my pets or kids eat them?

Plants can provide numerous benefits to your living space. Houseplants are decorative, help to purify the air, and can even be grown to use in the kitchen to enhance your favourite recipes. Some plants are grown for their medicinal value, while others are grown for their delightful fragrance. Some houseplants, on the other hand, should be labelled with a warning.

While houseplants are attractive, there are a surprising number of plants used to decorate interiors that are toxic to both children and pets. Even elderly people suffering from dementia could be poisoned by these common houseplants. If you live in a home with children, pets, or an elderly family member, you should check to see if any of your houseplants are on this dangerous list so that you can take precautions such as putting any offenders up high or otherwise out of harm's way—or get them out of your house entirely.

While many indoor plants are attractive to look at, you might be surprised by the number of them that are poisonous to both children and animals. With these ubiquitous houseplants, even older adults with dementia run the risk of self-poisoning. In order to take precautions like moving any offenders up high or otherwise out of harm's way—or getting them out of your house entirely—it is advised that anyone who lives in a home with kids, pets, or an elderly family member check to make sure that none of their houseplants is on this dangerous list.


The peace flower, another seasonal favourite, is frequently seen during the Easter season. This gorgeous springtime flower has leaves that are dark green and exquisite white blossoms. All components of the peace lily are harmful to animals, including dogs and cats, if consumed. Easter lilies should be kept out of the reach of all animals, especially small ones.


Pothos ivy, also known as Devil's ivy, is frequently planted indoors as a houseplant due to its variegated leaf, simplicity of maintenance, and air-purifying properties. In reality, one of the greatest plants for eliminating toxins from the air is pothos, which is frequently praised. Since pothos can be grown from cuttings, it is frequently presented as a gift.

Small amounts of pothos ivy are only mildly hazardous to humans, but high amounts can have very negative effects. When pets eat pothos, it also becomes more harmful. Ingestion of pothos ivy can cause vomiting, upset stomach, diarrhoea, mouth burning, skin irritation, and swelling of the lips, tongue, and throat in both children and adults. Drooling, choking, breathing difficulties, mouth and tongue enlargement, stomach disturbance, and even kidney failure or death could happen to pets.


The ease of growing and caring for philodendrons, one of the most popular houseplants in the world, has contributed to its appeal. The calcium oxalate crystals found in this attractive green houseplant are extremely hazardous and can damage both people and animals.

There are two different varieties of philodendron: vining and non-vining. Philodendrons that grow in vines should be frequently pruned, paying special attention to the tendrils and leaves. Additionally, the vining philodendron needs to be hung far away from kids and animals. Unless you have a really active cat, in which case you should think twice about keeping philodendron in your home at all, non-vining plants should be maintained on high window sills or shelves.

While most human philodendron ingestions only result in minor side effects including swollen mouth and digestive tracts and dermatitis-like skin reactions, there have been a few extremely rare reports of children who consumed huge amounts of the plant dying.


Sago palms are a common houseplant and a topic of conversation in living rooms all around the world because of their exotic appearance and capacity to filter the air. Although they have a distinctive appearance, these spiky small plants are extremely toxic and can lead to vomiting, diarrhoea, and even liver failure.


The arrowhead plant, also known as the goosefoot plant, is a well-liked option for indoor gardeners because of its distinctive colour pattern on its variegated leaves. However, you might want to think twice about having this one around if you have young children or pets. The sap of the arrowhead plant is extremely toxic and can make you sick and irritate your skin. Due to their propensity to drop their leaves, fully established plants are difficult to keep out of the reach of children and animals. Even if you place your arrowhead plant high up, it's likely that curious children or animals will end up getting a hold of its leaves. It's recommended to leave this one at the nursery if you share a room with either.


Cuts, scratches, and burns respond well to the aloe vera plant's internal gel. Although it is less well recognised, the aloe plant's skin, or outer layer, is extremely poisonous and can cause severe skin irritation. Aloe vera is toxic to dogs and cats alike. Due to pets' propensity for chewing up full bits of the plant, including the good and the bad, aloe vera can be extremely damaging to animals. This can result in symptoms like upset stomach, vomiting, sadness, and other things by causing pets to consume whole pieces of the plant.


The snake plant, also known as the good luck plant, viper's bowstring, St. George's sword, or mother-in-tongue, law's is a typical sight in contemporary homes due to its long spikes. Although snake plants are not harmful to humans, pet-friendly homes should avoid using them as decorative accents. When pets get hold of the plant, those impressive leaves can become a favourite feast for dogs and cats, and their toxicity can result in severe instances of vomiting and nausea.

We're not suggesting that if you currently have some of these plants in your home you give them to someone who doesn't have pets or kids or that you get rid of them altogether. Just consider moving poisonous houseplants out of the way of curious children and cherished pets, or look into other options, is all we're saying. Knowing what you're dealing with is always preferable so that you may choose what is best for you and your house.


New Articles